Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year 2015

Jan. 1, 2015

ON MY WAY OUT.

At around 7AM I peeked in my parents' room to see if they were up. They were already out of bed and preparing to go out to the dining room and said they didn't want to miss my departure. I told them I wasn't going to leave without saying goodbye. Mom pulled me aside and whispered that dad had a difficult time sleeping; not because of the uncomfortable feeling he's been getting when his leg gets hot but because he knew I was flying out today. I approach him, kiss him good morning and he looked at me with sad eyes and said, “Are you leaving today? Is there a way you can work it out and stay?” He then hung on to me really tight and started crying and asked me again to try and work it out. By now I was bawling myself and can only apologize and hug him back. I've never seen my dad cry and I hope I never do again. It is the most hearth-wrenching thing I've experienced in my life. Here is a man who has been our protector, strong and unwavering all of our lives and to see him like this knowing it is something I'm causing was breaking my heart. The hardest part was it is I who was breaking his heart. We hug for a bit more. I told him I loved him very much and promised to come back for another visit. I promised to take Katharine with me too. Though I hated thinking that dad might be thinking he'll never see me again, I wanted him to know that I was confident with returning and also with the hope his pain would be lessened. I started to walk towards Uli's car and before getting in, I turned only to see him look at me as if he couldn't. He was straining to look at my direction and waiting for me to acknowledge him. I wave and though everybody waved back, it was his that I only wanted to see. Uli sent me the picture of him later that day after I left to show how sad he looked. 


The airport ride was uneventful and quiet. The roads were practically empty as if there was a storm about to hit. It took us no less than 20 minutes to get there this time but if it weren't a holiday, it very well could taken us 1.5 hours. Upon arrival at the airport, I go to the ticket counter of Cathay Pacific, check in, blah blah blah, and done in 5 minutes. Wow! I text Uli and to his surprise asked me if I was having problems. I said no and complimented the efficiency of the counter staff. He then stated that since I was flying Business Class that I had a separate line and likely all to myself. For some reason, I head over to the convenient pasalubongs kiosk and stock up on more snack items. Mind you I have three bags of nuts and candy I surely didn't need to get more. Is that a problem? Boarding starts, I sit down, plane flies, and lands in Hong Kong. S'all good. The Business Class Lounge in HK is huge and has showers. I took advantage of the service and after filling up on siomai and fried noodles, I go in and take a shower. Surely didn't need one but thought if it comes with the program, why not use it?

Very impressed with the new Ninoy Aquino International Airport 3 in Manila.




Started to rain as soon as I entered the airport

Boarding starts, I sit down, plane flies. Next stop – Chicago! 








No comments:

Post a Comment