Friday, January 2, 2015

Christmas and New Year 2014 Day 12-13

Dec. 30, 2014

WAKE UP!

I have now fully adjusted to the time zone but I leave back to the states in a couple of days. I was thinking, should I try to wean myself out of this now and be ready for the time zone change? Of course that was just a thought. I will attempt the change during my 24 hours combined flights. Somewhere there I should be sleeping and waking at the correct time(s). The mild December temperature (mid 70's) had been real nice that dad, Uli and I would sit out back just enjoying the breeze. We also watch the kids play there often.






Nothing much to report today. Its the last day of work for most people before the New Year holiday. A small preparation for more friends coming tonight is underway. Nothing spectacular, just grocery shopping for snacks and booze. Pretty late into the evening as this one ends sometime around 4AM. 

Eline was able to bring home one of my favorite desserts, sweet custard with sago.

Here's what a wrong-side driving looks like. Before it happened, I asked Melvin why he was attempting to turn onto on-coming traffic. He said "the right lane is a zoo and besides, we're turning left in about a 1/4 mile." I suppose he's justified with his decision – and I thought it was a slow day.




Dec. 31, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!

Whoopee! Today is mom's, lolay's birthday! She's a healthy 50'-something. Just like me she stopped counting as soon as she hit 50. Ate Cris and company are coming for lunch and bringing crab cakes and clam chowder soup. All prepared by our family chef, Ate Lourdes. Yup, she brought me more leche flan.

Timmy and I were showing off our mango trimming techniques.. I was not able to hold off for the picture. Just had to devour it.

We picked up a cake from the french coffee shop next to Cafe Mary Grace (can't remember its name) and was a triple chocolate torte cake.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the picture in my file) It was good. We will be getting mom a spa day somewhere (we haven't decided where she goes for this) or we can have a home service. With dad's limited range, should we decide to drive somewhere it can only be to go to the mall or a short sightseeing trip. We'll figure it out. Hope you had a fun day mom!!

After the lunch party left, Uli and I ventured out to purchase stuff for the evening's highlight and much awaited event, fireworks at midnight! We went to two places and picked up about $50 worth of stuff. Mostly sparklers (the big kind), about 30 rockets, two large fountain shows and a box of little fountains. Wow! This is something you have to experience when you're in the Philippines. Its one thing to see organized fireworks during the Fourth of July celebration but to be in the middle of it all for about 15 minutes is an experience to remember. Every has and lights their fireworks right at midnight so you can imagine the sight, sounds, not to mention the smoke of all of it happening in a short amount of time. Even dad was up to the task and be wheeled outside and join us in the festivity. I love it! That is way too cool! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Waiting for the midnight before heading out to do fireworks

Isabella and Luigi 
Eline and nephew Karl



No comments:

Post a Comment